On Tuesday, July 12th Volunteer Arlington celebrated the 2022 Community Volunteer Award winners; AvalonBay Communities received the Distinguished Corporate Service Award for its tremendous civic engagement with APAH!
AvalonBay and APAH have had a longstanding, close relationship for more than a decade. AvalonBay volunteers help guide APAH through their board service, contribute to corporate service projects that directly assist our residents and low-income neighbors, and provide philanthropic support to APAH. We are incredibly grateful for their strong, multifaceted partnership, and are proud to recognize them through this distinguished award! Below, please see a summary of AvalonBay’s voluntary contributions. And, you can watch the award ceremony here.
During 2021-2022, AvalonBay staff:
• Volunteered at AFAC distributions throughout the year, including AFAC turkey day for Thanksgiving, where resident attendance increased by 33% compared with the typical weekly distribution average.
• Put together 145 emergency kits for our senior residents.
• Regularly volunteered at read aloud programs for youth during the spring and fall.
• Helped collect items for APAH’s holiday gift drive that supported two APAH programs: athletic equipment for our Boys Sports Club and kitchen essential supplies for new residents at Queens Court.
• Donated board and card games for our resident community rooms across the portfolio.
• Maintained ‘little libraries’ at two APAH properties.
• Participated in career fairs for APAH youth.
• Matt Birenbaum, Chief Investment Officer at AvalonBay, currently serves as APAH’s 2022 Chair of the Board of Directors.