APAH is a seasoned, nonprofit developer that produces award-winning communities that support residents in living, learning and thriving. We bring integrity and compassion to our growing portfolio and seek to leave an indelible mark in every community we serve.
APAH specializes in the following core competencies:
- INNOVATIVE FINANCING: We effectively leverage the capital needed for projects and employ innovative financing solutions that make our deals feasible. APAH is a leader in hybrid financing, working closely with partners to access diverse and highly efficient financing models for each project. In fact, we were the first in Virginia to propose combining the 9% and 4% LIHTC programs to maximize equity. We also work to lower development costs and to use those savings in ways that impact residents.
- ENTITLEMENTS AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT: We work with various jurisdictions to secure the necessary permissions to build affordable housing in those areas. We also work closely with residents, business leaders, civic associations, etc. to ensure their voices and perspectives are heard and incorporated when possible. We play a key role in community engagement and planning–core competencies that are integral to true community transformation.
- STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS: We collaborate with mission-minded organizations–from faith-based groups to civic organizations–to unlock the affordable housing potential of new sites. We also establish public-private partnerships and work with local governments to access public land to meet community housing goals.
- EXECUTION: We have a talented team of real estate development experts who identify development opportunities, assemble the financing, and manage the projects from concept to close out. Our developers find creative solutions in an urbanized setting, all designed to allow us to create more homes and serve more people. And when it comes to redevelopment, APAH ensures that the relocation process is as smooth as possible, minimizing disruptions and inconveniences to our residents.
- RESIDENT SERVICES: We serve low- and moderate-income residents that live in and around our properties by providing them with access to resources and partnerships that improve their quality of life. We have the ability to serve special populations from seniors and veterans to formerly homeless individuals, ensuring their needs are factored into our resident-centered designs.
APAH is based in Arlington, VA and serves the entire DC Metro region. We are continually building our pipeline to serve the region’s affordable housing needs.
Highlighting Columbia Hills: another award-winning construction project
Virginia Housing Award
Best Affordable Housing Development, 2019
ULI Washington Trends Award
Excellence in Affordable Housing, 2019
Related news and Stories
This 516-unit transit-oriented development will host a community center operated by Fairfax County Neighborhood and Community Services and represents APAH’s strategic efforts to construct quality affordable housing in high-opportunity areas. […]
The regional nonprofit developer targets transit-rich opportunity areas, aiming to serve residents in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland ARLINGTON, VA (September 27, 2023) Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) recently completed […]
The development will create 516 affordable apartments and a new community center operated by Fairfax County Neighborhood and Community Services ARLINGTON, VA (August 7, 2023) The affordable housing community to […]
Virginia Housing recently announced that it projects an award of $1,800,000 in 9% low-income housing tax credits (LIHTC) to the first phase of APAH’s Avonlea project. This secures a critical […]
Construction is well underway at APAH’s Marbella and Arna Valley View apartments in Arlington. The rehabilitation project will upgrade and preserve the long-term affordability of 163 units and renovate common […]
APAH recently completed the naming process for its building currently under construction in Fairfax County, formerly nicknamed Braddock Senior. Ilda’s Overlook Senior Residences is named in honor of Ilda, a […]
December 2022 marked several key milestones for the APAH real estate team. In total, there were six real estate closings, although Loudoun View Senior and Terwilliger Place required two separate […]
APAH is moving closer to starting construction on its first project in the District of Columbia. We are pleased to announce that we have building permit approval and expect to […]
In May, APAH and Fairfax County announced a $55 million commitment from the Amazon Housing Equity Fund to develop more than 500 new affordable homes in Tysons, located in Fairfax […]
Arlington County – APAH’s hometown – has a long history of robust community conversation and engagement. One tool to facilitate those discussions is the Site Plan Review Committee (SPRC). When […]